2008-11-02

Halloween in Hong Kong

I spent Halloween in Hong Kong, as planned.

I wanted to test my costume out before the actual Halloween night party in Lan Kwai Fong. So, I put my skeleton costume on in the night from the 30th to the 31st and just walked around Kowloon. I got quite the reactions! Some people were amused, other scared or just weirded out.

Then came the party night itself. When I got to Lan Kwai Fong (LKF for short), I got photographed hundreds and hundreds of times. It was crazy. The big thing to do for Halloween in Hong Kong (if you are a local) is to go to LKF and watch/take pictures of the costumed foreigners. Rarely have I got so much attention in my life. I think the costume was a pretty good one.

Some people were scared of me because of my costume, even though they were in LKF. I managed to make some kids shout and cry simply by looking in their direction. There even was one adult that couldn't look at me (and her friends laughed at her and kept insisting that I bug her).

I took pictures of other people with fun or cute costumes. Many girls went for sexy costumes like French maid outfits, latex nurse outfits, Playboy bunny outfits... I didn't feel like leaving, but I finally did at 5am.

But, before I went back to my room, I walked around Kowloon a bit where I scared shitless a few people who weren't expecting to see a skeleton walking in their neighborhood. Amongst them were two prostitutes and a potential costumer of theirs. It's funny how after the initial shock, one of them asked me if I wanted a "massage". Gotta love that entrepreneurial spirit!

I didn't sleep much as I was flying to Saigon in the afternoon.

No comments: