2008-11-28

Australia

I landed in Brisbane a few days ago. Although the temperature does go up to 30 C during the day, I find it temperate, almost cold (compared to South East Asia). Finally, I'm not sweating all the time anymore. I still drink lots of slurpees and slushes, though.

I was almost shocked when I landed in Australia: people are white! I'm the norm, not the exception anymore. I'm sure when I get to Sydney and Melbourne, I'll just be one of the many ethnies again (just like in Canada). However, as soon as I open my mouth, people know I'm a foreigner. Sometimes, I don't quite get what people are telling me.

Australia feels just like the UK, except with nice weather. The people look British and dress like the British. They also drive on the left side and speak with a similar accent.

Brisbane is comparable in size and vibrancy to Vancouver. It's pretty small and one day of that city was enough for me. After a while, seeing another new city doesn't really makes much a difference to me. I still enjoy my stroll around town and walking under fragrant fig trees.

I went to a koala sanctuary where I saw a bunch of these creatures. I also saw wombats, lizards, a Tasmanian devil, cassowaries and many other beasts. Of course, there were loads of kangaroos. I got to play with a few of them. They do jump fast when they want to get around.

Now, I'm in Surfers Paradise, a beach city a few kilometers south of Brisbane. It feels like Honolulu, only a bit more hardcore on the partying. Right now, it's "Schoolies Week". Australians have their summer vacation in December and January. They also graduate in December. When Australians graduate from high school, they go on a week-long trip (many of them to Surfers Paradise) and go mental.

Basically, the streets and buses are filled with drunken 17 year-olds being rowdy, merry and noisy. It's an interesting phenomenon to witness. In the past, the drunken kids would just be up to no good at night, so the city now organizes parties to keep an eye on them. I can't count the number of times young people hugged me and told me that "Your my brother, mate. Cheers. We're all together" and so on. Most of it is peaceful. I haven't really seen anyone breaking stuff or starting fights. I did see a drunken girl get naked right next to me on the beach, though. This whole thing is similar to the US' spring break deal.

Tonight, I'm flying to Sydney.

No comments: