2008-11-19

Malaysia

After trying with a third plane, I finally was able to fly from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur. Shit happens and one can conceive that a two hour flight ends up taking 8 or 9 instead. But, the attitude of the Air Asia people throughout was less than commendable. Never fly Air Asia unless the price difference REALLY justifies it.

Malaysia is a mix of Malay, Indian and Chinese people with a strong Islamic influence which is reflected in the architecture and the values of the locals. Many times a day, you actually hear the imams calling from their minarets. I find it eery.

I don't like religions. Islam has to be one the religions I dislike the most. Hence, I didn't feel at home in a country where Islam takes on an importance such as in Malaysia. Also, the cab drivers (yes, them again) insist on not using the meter when they pick up Westerners.

Malaysia is not as developped as its Petronas towers might lead one to believe. It's a country with a GDP per capita almost twice as high as Thailand's. However, it doesn't look as developped as Thailand. Go figure. Anyway, it's not a country I like.

One thing came to brighten my stay in Kuala Lumpur, though. I went to the tour desk at my hotel to enquire about day-trips to Putrajaya (the country's new, built-from-scratch model capital). The girl at the desk then asked me why I wanted to go there. I thought her reaction was strange for someone who's supposed to try to sell me trips. It turns out she didn't work there and just came to visit some friends who did. Then, we struck up a conversation; ended up eating with each other and then basically being a couple for the day.

No comments: