2008-09-20

Okanagan Valley

Last week, I went to the Okanagan Valley with Sylvia. I think both of us had some apprehensions because of all the fighting we had on our last trip together (Hawaii). However, other than her usual tendencies to freak out and be irritable, things went pretty well.

Our first morning in the Valley was spent in Canada's only "desert". It's technically a desert, but don't expect sand dunes. It feels more like northern Arizona (say, around Flagstaff). In this desert live a variety of animals not found elsewhere in Canada such as rattle snakes, scorpions and black widow spiders. At the Desert Center, I expected to see a bunch of bugs and animals (just as I did in Arizona's Desert Garden). But, we didn't see rattle snakes (they apparently are found on golf courses in the region) or anything of the sort. Actually, the Desert Center was a bit boring except for when we did see a yellow-bellied snake eat a praying mantis.

Then, up to the vineyards we went! We drank many varieties of wines and got the chance to walk around some vineyards. We were tipsy most of the day (especially Sylvia). We also took some peaches and apples fresh from the trees next to some vineyards.

That night, we spent the night in a private room in a hostel. It was a first time for both of us. I slept fine but wasn't too keen on the idea of cleaning myself in a shared shower the next morning. If I ever get over my desire for convenience and comfort, I could travel for much cheaper.

The next day we went to more vineyards. That whole week-end taught me a lot about wines. If I do end up back East, I'll try to visit the Niagara region for some more wine tourism.

This entry brings this blog up to date, which is a good thing considering that I'm about to embark on a mega-trip to Asia. Next week, I'm off to China.

More adventures to come...

No comments: