2010-02-16

The Games Are On

Last Friday, I went to a venue with large screens to see the opening ceremony. To get the privilege to stand in the rain to look at those screens, I had to wait in line for an hour. And that's because I'm lucky. Some waited over two and a half hours and did not even make it in.

After two hours of watching the ceremony, I got tired and exited the venue to join an old co-worker and some of his friends nearby.

The next day, I walked around the downtown area some more and went to see the Olympic cauldron with its flames near the convention center.

I got tired of Vancouver's winter weather (rain). Ever since I got here, it has been raining. The city has been constantly enshrouded by thick, dark clouds. Imagine, in the middle of the afternoon, your camera will automatically turn its flash on when you take pictures outside. Wet and depressing.

On the other hand, I've never seen Vancouver so busy. For Montrealers out there, imagine a bunch of events in numbers surpassing the Montreal Highlights festival and crowds like you'd find during the Jazz Festival. Bars, stores and restaurants strategically located are making a killing. I even saw people lining up to go inside a liquor store on Robson Street.

On Saturday, the gods were with us and we got a gorgeous, sunny day in Vancouver. The weather hovered near 15 degrees Celsius. I went to Chinatown to see whatever activities were happening there due to the Chinese New Year. I didn't see much that changed my life. I then basked in the sun for a good hour wearing no coat in this charming park. I then walked all around False Creek to look at the various pavilions. I tried the new streetcar to go to Granville Island.

Then, I met this Mexican girl. She wanted to "hook up" because it was Valentine's Day and she's going back to her country soon. I felt bad, but I had to turn her down even though this would have been so easy. There was just no connection nor attraction. Mark this down as another crappy Valentine's Day, for the both of us.

After that, I went to Richmond for "the biggest Chinese New Year celebration this side of Beijing". I saw a traditional lion dance, martial arts demonstrations, singers and fireworks. One kid doing a martial arts demonstration busted his knee while not landing correctly from a jump. He must have felt awful. First, to bust a knee is never cool. But to do so in front of a humongous crowd is even worst. I bet he's scarred for life.

I met an old Amazon co-worker and his wife at the celebration. We talked a bit and they brought me back to where I'm staying.

Every night, there are fireworks in Vancouver for the Olympics.

Going around all over the metro area like this makes me re-discover just how beautiful this city is. I don't want to go back to Montreal. I feel more at home here. It's quite possible I'll move back to Vancouver. Remains only to figure out when and under what circumstances...

No comments: